[X] Close
 LIGHTHOUSE PELEE ISLAND by Artist Ronald Suchiu

lighthouse pelee island

lighthouse pelee island

+ click the image to enlarge

"lighthouse pelee Island"

The waters of Lake Erie surround rustic Pelee Island about halfway between Sandusky, Ohio on one side, and Leamington, Ontario, Canada on the other side. Pelee Island lighthouse was constructed in 1833 and is the oldest stone lighthouse on Lake Erie and the second oldest lighthouse in the Great Lakes on the Canadian side. It was built to guide vessels through the dangerous Pelee Passage, a 20-mile channel that runs between Pelee Island and the Canadian mainland. The lighthouse has an interesting history, dating back to its first keeper, William McCormick, who was also the man who donated the land for the lighthouse to be built on along with the stone used to build the tower. Story has it that a young Robert E. Lee (later to become commander of all Confederate troops during the War between the States) visited Pelee Island in July of 1835 to work on a boundary survey for United States and Canada. When he visited the lighthouse he encountered the keeper. Whether the keeper was unfriendly or Lee provoked him is

Limited Edition Prints

  • qty
  • Print type
  • size
  • price

Fans & collectors comments:  (click here to leave a comment)

Be the first one to write a comment for "Lighthouse Pelee Island" painting.


unclear, but an altercation occurred and Lee
killed the keeper. Whether Lee was cleared of
any charges or left before he could be
charged with a crime is also unclear, but
local records indicate that Lee stole a few
glass lampshades before leaving.  Jokingly it
is said that if there had have been a lawn
mower or hedge clippers he would have taken
them too…hey what are neighbours for?

Over the years the lighthouse had a number of
keepers but one of the most noteworthy was
James Cummins, who was awarded a gold watch
by the Dominion of Canada for gallant
services in saving lives of people from two
different shipwrecks.

Pelee Island lighthouse sat in disrepair from
1909 until August of 2000 when it was taken
off the list of the Lighthouse Digest
Doomsday List of endangered lighthouses,
after being restored.

Related Paintings: